• PolyU Linguistic & Language Group
  • PolyU Linguistic Theory & Language Technology Group

Enrico Santus, PhD Candidate

Enrico SantusI am a 27 year-old Italian, pursuing his PhD at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, where I am researching on a new method for the "Unsupervised Ontology Development and Population using Distributional Semantics Models".

Between January and June 2013, I worked in the SemRel group at the Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung of the University of Stuttgart, where I developed and assessed a new statistical measure based on entropy to automatically identify hyponym/hypernym in Distributional Semantic Models.

Since the end of 2012, I have been working as Computational Linguist at Lionbridge, developing a grammar checker. Since the beginning of 2014, I have started working also as Language Architect at Lionbridge, leading a team of developers for the implementation of several grammar checkers.

During my academic career (University of Pisa: MA in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics and BA in in Literature and Philosophy), I had the chance of attending classes in some of the most appreciated universities in the world: Harvard (Summer School in Mind/Brain Sciences, 2010), Normale di Pisa (Criminology, 2011), King’s College of London (Digital humanities, 2008/2009), Stuttgart University (IMS, 2012/2013).

Besides, contemporaneously with my studies, I had some work-experiences that increased my communication, managerial and organizational skills: from 2008 to 2013 I have been the manager editor of “Aeolo” (a journal that deals with literature, culture and politics), coordinating an editor group of eight and making this journal one of the most interesting magazines published by students in Italy (among our authors, there is also the Slovenian Nobel prize candidate Boris Pahor). Since three years I have been working as journalist for magazines, international festivals and some of the most important Italian newspapers, such as Il Tirreno, L’Unità and Il Sole 24 Ore.

I can speak and write English (fluent) and Spanish (good). I am actually learning some Mandarin (basic). I can ably use Windows and Linux shell, and I can program in C/C++, Phython, Assembly, Java, HTML, XML and SQL.

CURRICULUM VITAE (English): Click here.

facebook: Enrico Santus Aversano
twitter: esantus